Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Little Thanksgiving Recap

I can't believe Christmas Eve is three weeks from tomorrow, and I can't embark on my Christmas blogging without a little recap of a wonderful Thanksgiving week:

IN DESPERATE NEED OF A SOUS CHEF
We had Thanksgiving dinner at our house, and as in the past few years, dinner includes family and anybody from C's office that might not be heading home for the holidays. That meant that this year there would be 12 for dinner. I began preparing on Tuesday and quickly discovered that I really needed some assistance. I didn't have to look far:



And the best part:

That's right. She cleans!

WHAT HAPPENS TO TWO THREE-YEAR-OLDS WHEN THE TRYPTOPHAN KICKS IN:


GIVING THANKS
We really did have a wonderful Thanksgiving this year, and we had many reasons to be thankful.

We certainly have been blessed this year with health - including the successful removal of cancer in C's dad. We are also so thankful for the recovery of our friend Sarah's dad. That was nothing short of a miracle.

We were blessed with a family addition. What a joy it was for my sister to call me on August 1 to tell me that her baby girl had been born, and she was on her way to meet her for the first time. And how I loved meeting her for the first time last month. I was also so thankful for the healthy pregnancy and delivery of my sweet friend Christina's baby boy on November 5.

I am immensely thankful for the time that I have had with my family this year. I truly cherish watching Allison grow. Her little personality is a delight. How I love her so!

MOST REQUESTED RECIPE


Cranberry-Pear Chutney (C: Just call it what it is. It is fancy cranberry sauce)
1 lb fresh or frozen cranberries (4 cups)
2 small pears, peeled, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 cup water
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice

In 3-quart saucepan, mix all ingredients. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring frequently.

Reduce heat to medium. Cook 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.

Cool at room temperature 30 minutes, then refrigerate at least 2 hours. Chutney will thicken more as it cools. Store in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.

No comments: