Sunday, November 2, 2008

"Giraffes Can't Dance"


I'm not sure what has gotten into me, but I have become obsessed with children's books. Maybe it's because Allison has become obsessed with me reading them to her - and they better be good. So, I decided to post our favorite book of the week. It is Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae.

Here is what amazon.com writes about Giraffes Can't Dance: Gerald the giraffe doesn't really have delusions of grandeur. He just wants to dance. But his knees are crooked and his legs are thin, and all the other animals mock him when he approaches the dance floor at the annual Jungle Dance. But an encouraging word from an unlikely source shows this glum giraffe that those who are different "just need a different song," and soon he is prancing and sashaying and boogying to moon music (with a cricket accompanist). In the vein of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Gerald's fickle "friends" quickly decide he's worthy of their attention again.

I LOVE this book....and Allison loves it, too. It's got a great beat to it (be careful, you might find yourself sashaying along as you read it). And best of all: it's got a good lesson in it.

No comments: