Thursday, November 13, 2008

Green Eggs and Ham

I'm just now getting around to discussing the fantastic weekend that we had this past week. It was like Thanksgiving...only early. It was one of those very rare times when my entire family was together. I'm talking Nana; Mimi; me, my brother, and my sister; each of our spouses; and all of our kids. It was fantastic!

It had been so long since we had all been together that I forgot that my brother has turned into quite the storyteller. You know, every family has one. He gets his storytelling pose going on:

And this is how he begins: "Do you remember reading Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham when you were little? Well, it wasn't just a book for us. It's what we had for breakfast." He then goes into a diatribe of the weekly specialties in our house growing up which included: Wednesday nights - fried Spam with ShowBoat Pork & Beans; Thursday nights - VegAll with biscuits on top.

Now, my sweet little mother takes Bubby's exaggerations about her cooking really well. No, my mother did not inherit the cooking gene that my grandmother and my aunt have. And yes, Spam and VegAll did make their appearance on the table in our house - although not every week. Like most working moms, she did the best she could with what she had to work with.

There is one thing that Bubby didn't exaggerate though: I would literally kiss his feet when I was little to get him to cook my eggs because I did not want "Green Eggs and Ham."

No comments: